Friday, May 28, 2010

Day 27: Turn On the Bright Lights (2002) by Interpol



Finally have caught back up with the blog. I figured I'd celebrate with a little bit of Interpol.


I'm not gonna lie. I only got this album because "PDA" is such a rocking track on Rock Band 2. For a few months, Tostada, Smash and the rest of our friends were addicted. Me and my boy Daryl would spend hours playing that game. I'm almost positive we've seen the sun rise a few times. 


Eventually we moved on to Gears of War, then Left 4 Dead 2, and then I went on my own with Bioshock 2 and Fallout 3. But I'm in a bit of a video game rut. I bought Batman: Arkham Asylum and haven't finished it yet.


But it seems that now I am addicted to sudoku. Sure, it's mainly a one person game (although, snuggling up to someone close and crunching numbers can be extremely sensual) but I love the challenge. I love logic games and fucking puzzles and brain teasers and riddles and...damn. 


Sorry, I think I'm getting a little carried away. Yes, I must confess, I am a bit nerdy. I like comic books and video games. I take movies too seriously. I plan to name my children after superheroes and, just to top it off, I like to solve math problems for fun. Every once in a while I just sit and unravel the quadratic formula. Basic shit, but I like to know I can still do it.


I'll tell you one thing, though. Nerdiness is trendy now. No one hesitates in claiming nerdiness as a badge of honor. It used to be that we thought this guy was the epitome of nerd. No one wanted to be this guy.



Sigh...another black man in jail.


Now, it seems that we're all nerds. We've reappropriated the term. Being nerdy is a good thing, since it's so distinctive.


Let's really think about what a nerd really is. Comic books? Shit, most of the guys I know like comic books or at least the heroes. Same goes for video games. And movies? Hmmmm...let's see...only everyone! Math may be my one true claim to true nerdiness, but then again, being smart is sexy. Just ask all those girls below, with their nerd glasses. 



I would bang all these nerds.


So if all these things describe nerds, then have we all really been nerds all along? Is an abnormal knowledge of pop culture and intelligence nerdy? Do our hobbies make us nerdy? It really just seems that we all just are claiming nerdiness to distinguish us from the millions other who claim nerdiness. 


If you really want someone who stands out for nerdiness, let me introduce you to the neckbeard.





I didn't know these guys existed before I was introduced to Somethingawful.com. And...ho...ly...shit. You wanna talk about nerd? These guys are the cream of the crop of nerdiness. Ol' great neckbeard...we bow to you.


So...yeah. 


Quite honestly, I really have no idea where I'm going with this. This has been a post of random tangents. I guess what I'm really trying to say is that we're all a little nerdy, but these guys are the epitome of nerdiness. We're all just wanna bes and these guy are the rock stars. Wear that with pride, good sir. You are what we all wish to be.


I don't know how I ended up talking about this, let alone filling a whole post about nerds and the act of being nerdy. I'll end this conversation before it spirals out of control with this picture of a hot girl.





Peace bruthas and sistas!

1 comment:

  1. sick post man, great album pick and great topic :D hahahahaha

    im down to curl up with you and a good sudoku puzzle ;) LOL

    -Nery

    ReplyDelete