Monday, June 7, 2010

Day 28 to Day 37: A Night At The Opera (1975) by Queen, Peanut Butter Breaks (1994) by Peanut Butter Wolf, Dr. No's Oxperiment (2007) by Oh No, Rubber Factory (2004) by The Black Keys, Word...Life (1994) by O.C., I Never Loved a Man the Way I Loved You (1967) by Aretha Franklin, 3 Years, 5 Months, and 2 Days in the Life of... (1992) by Arrested Development, The Grey Album (2004) by DangerMouse, Hit The Floor (2005) by Breakestra, Ready to Die (1994) by Notorious B.I.G., Sound of Silver (2007) by LCD Soundsystem, The Low End Theory (1991) by A Tribe Called Quest, Blood Sugar Sex Magic (1991) by Red Hot Chili Peppers, and The Unseen (2000) by Quasimoto

















And just for shits and giggle...



Whew...sorry 'bout that. I stepped away from my computer for just a moment and, next thing you know, a full 10 days has passed. Holy shit!


Yeah, it's been a few days since I Iast posted, which is what I didn't want to happen. But you know how life gets, with school coming to an end and me going away for a few months. Things get hectic.


But I didn't stop listening to music. I went through quite a few albums but just haven't had a chance to write anything. As you can see from above, I was able to get more albums than anticipated and even get an oldie in there as well. So here's a rundown.


Day 28-30: A Night At The Opera by Queen
Day 29: Peanut Butter Breaks by Peanut Butter Wolf
Day 30: Dr. No's Oxperiment by Oh No, Rubber Factory by the Black Keys and Word...Life by O.C.
Day 31: I Never Loved A Man The Way I Loved You by Aretha Franklin and 3 Years, 5 Months, and 2 Days in the Life Of... by Arrested Development
Day 31-32: The Grey Album by DangerMouse
Day 32: Hit the Floor by Breakestra
Day 35: Ready to Die by Notorious B.I.G.
Day 36: Sound of Silver by LCD Soundsystem
Day 37:  The Low End Theory by A Tribe Called Quest, Blood Sugar Sex Magic by Red Hot Chili Peppers and The Unseen by Quasimoto


Now that's quite a bit of music. Now, I can't write a lot about these albums in this post, but I would like to mention at least one thing for each one. Think of it as a variety pack. Here goes:


A Night At The Opera: This is for a friend from work who requested I listen to some Queen. This one's for you, Steph.


Peanut Butter Breaks: Got into this through my boy Dom. This is just one of two instrumental albums I heard. If you want laid back, mellow beats, this guy has them.


Dr. No Oxperiment: What did I say? Another instrumental album, but it's cool cuz you can hear some of these beats on other albums like "The Ecstatic" by Mos Def.


Rubber Factory: As with most of our music, I think our tastes shape based on suggestions from friends. My boy Josh from summer camp had a mixtape and I had to steal it. It included this song, so I downloaded the album.


Word...Life: The first song I heard of this album was called "Born 2 Live," introduced to me by my boy Rex. I thought this album was way underground until I realized that the songs that my hip hop professor played in class were off this album.


I Never Loved a Man The Way I Loved You: What can you say about Aretha? "R.E.S.P.E.C.T." is still a dope song after all these years.


3 Years, 5 Months, and 2 Days in the Life of...: Ooooh. One of my favorite hip hop albums. Got a funky jazz going to it.


The Grey Album: I was a bit of a Jay-Z hater before I listened to this album. But when I first got a hold of this, I thought of him differently as a lyricist. He's pretty sick...but I would still choose Nas. Hahaha.


Hit The Floor: This was a random selection for the day. I got this off a package of all Stones Throw Records. Funk band with a new age feel. 


Ready To Die: Once more, what can I say? Nothin but love.


Sound of Silver: Who says white people have no rhythm? This is a sick album with some bouncy electronic beats. 


The Low End Theory: Ooh. Another one of my favorite albums. Deep, deep beats with Q-Tip and Phife Dawg at their prime. Funny thing is that I preferred "Midnight Marauders" over this one at first, but it just grew on me. 


Blood Sugar Sex Magic: I actually just finished listening to this album. I used to be the biggest Chili Pepper wanna be. Me and my boy Philip almost became a Chili Peppers cover band.


The Unseen: This is all about the voice. His voice is tune a pitch or two and it sounds pretty dope. As a matter of fact, maybe even better than his normal voice.


Whoo...that was good. Anyhow, I think that'll be all for tonight. See you next time!


Peace, bruthas and sistas.

No comments:

Post a Comment