Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Day 41-?: Writer's Block (2007) by Peter Bjorn and John, Resurrection (1994) by Common, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (2010) by Kanye West, Crystal Castles (2008) by Crystal Castles, Hot Buttered Soul (1969) by Isaac Hayes, Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty (2010) by Big Boi

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/300x300/32467395.jpg







February 20, 2010:


I'm confused as to how to title this post. Technically, it's not day 41-?. And technically, this isn't the first time I've heard these albums. These are actually some of my favorites, but, as mentioned in the last post, I've heard so many random albums and it was so long ago that I can't really pinpoint when exactly I listened to it. But again, this isn't about reviewing music or just listening to new music. It's about whatever random thoughts I've had in the day in relation to the album. 


And I had some random thoughts, but I've forgotten them .


February 22, 2010:


So, this is more of a continuation of a broken post. I haven't really been keeping up the last few days only because of school. I still have been listening to music, but because it helps the whole study process. But I haven't really been writing.  Now, with a small lull between studying, I can finally take a moment to sit and write. 


The funny thing is that once I finally take a sit down, I can't really think of anything to write about. I suppose this is writer's block, which makes it that more fitting that Peter Bjorn and John are on this post. This, however, will not be the segue. 


No, the real issue is writer's block. You ever seen the movie "Stranger Than Fiction?" There's a scene where the author is suffering from writer's block, so she stands at the edge of a high rise building, and imagines plummeting to her death. Granted, that's a little extreme, but there comes a point where something big must happen. 





For instance, a few years back, I took a trip up north with a few of my friends. It was a random turn of events. My boy John one day approaches me and asks if I was doing anything that weekend. I wasn't, and neither was my boy Joe. We all jump in the car, spur of the moment, and drive up to the north. 


The funny thing that we all discovered was that we were all going in search for the meaning of love. Now, I don't mean that in a philosophical manner, but instead on a personal level. My boy and Joe both had "Berkeley Girls" that we felt we need to close the book on, and my boy John and was evaluating his relationship with his girlfriend. 


The point of the story is that we all left Northern California with a more focused perspective on love. Me especially. It was the final chapter to a long, rewarding, yet very painful relationship with a girl I fell for. 


So I decided to write a story.


It's been about three years later, and I'm still working on the book. I'm not saying that nothing of importance has happened in the last three years, but since that chapter of my life is closed, there hasn't been any life-altering moments regarding that aspect of my life since. So the story remains more of a reminder of a past time. I have to elaborate and create the outcome of each of the character's stories out of my own creativity as opposed to from my experience. Now, I know that since the characters are based on real-life counterparts I can base it on our actual lives. But the thing is that real-life is a never ending story, a continuing conclusion and beginning. I can't base it on me anymore because my story hasn't finished. Not with stories. Stories need to begin, climax, and end. 


Anyhow, I'm still working on that book. 


So much for writer's block. I will relate this back to the music mainly because I always felt that music has so much influence on our thoughts and feelings. So, if there's a certain theme or mood that I am trying to convey, I look for music that fits those themes and moods. For instance, for another book I'm writing that deals with a urban dystopian future, I tend to listen to hip hop with menacing beats and bleaker lyrics. As for the love story, a lot of music about love and heartbreak, usually more melodic. 


Anyhow! Sorry bruthas, but I think this is as far as I can go. Time for a nappy nap.


Peace and love, bruthas and sistas. 



1 comment: