Sunday, June 13, 2010

Day 38-39: Led Zepplin I (1969) by Led Zepplin, It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back (1988) and Fear of a Black Planet (1990) by Public Enemy





Sorry kiddies. I know it's been a while since I wrote, but the last couple days have been hectic for  me. I know, who's life isn't?! Hahaha...nonetheless, it's much harder to keep up with a daily blog when you've been in school and traveling cross two states. But finals are over and I'm settled in beautiful Wyoming, so let's continue with the madness.


But first, a moment a silence for the sorry excuse for a team known as the Lakers...


...


Thank you. And now, here's a picture of breasts.





Sigh...even that didn't cheer me up.


But I'm not gonna discuss the Lakers any further only because it'll piss me off further, and I'm sure everyone has already gone to their blog to vent.  So...that is all I will say...


I do feel, however, that I must discuss the Public Enemy albums. Now, as I've mentioned in the past, I was taking a Hip Hop Culture class this past quarter, but now finals are over. But I seriously can't help but to listen to hip hop much differently than in the past.


I've been hesitant, in particular, with these two albums. I know the hoopla. I know how politically charged they are. I've heard "Fight the Power." And of course...Flavor Flav. 'Nuff said. 


Despite that, I am by no means an expert in Public Enemy. My friend from high school spoke highly of them, but when I bumped a few of their songs a few years back...well...I wasn't impressed. The beats sample heavily from hard rock and metal bands, and the funk samples are distorted to the point where they are no longer funky. Not to mention that there was almost no bass in their jams, and I'm a dude who's first intro to hip hop was G-Funk. Chuck D didn't have the smooth flow that I'm so used to. And, of course...Flavor Flav. 





Hahaha...gotta love the guy. 


I was all about that political agenda in hip hop back in da day. Honestly, I prefer it. But I thought Public Enemy was bland. There sound was almost repetitive and it definitely put more emphasis on lyrics as opposed to beats.


But just like most music that I have in my collection, it begins to grow on you. Or better yet, on me. And fast, too. I seen the rankings of "It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back." Lots of magazines say its one of the best hip hop albums ever. But I had to check it out for myself.


And what do you know? They're good. They're really fucking good. I love their lyrics. They're so in your face. They take the mic and slap white America in the face with it. Shit, even Flavor Flav gets in the whole business and gets all militant. Terminator X may sample tons of rock songs, but it suits the themes and mood. Chuck D aint bland, he's just direct with his style. These are some bad, mad bruthas. My professor even went as far as calling "It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back" the greatest PUNK album of all time. GODDAYAM! They were once even labeled the most dangerous band by Rolling Stone. 


And "Fight the Power?" Maybe the greatest political hip hop song ever. You may have your opinion, but rarely will you ever hear another song that is just a foot up the Man's ass as "Fight the Power." Sure, thank Spike Lee, but this song took on a life of it's own. 


And then there's Zepplin. Hahaha...my boy and I, as we drove to Wyoming, discussed our different tastes in music, and Zepplin came up. Now, some people are fans of the Beatles, some are fans of the Who, and then there are Zepplin fans. I am the latter, although much love to the other bands. If I could ever assemble a group of musicians who had the same brilliant goal, I can only hope that they are as good as Zepplin. Jimmy Page is not the greatest guitarist of all time, nor Robert Plant the best singer. John Paul Jones is funky, but not the funkiest. You can debate whether John Bonham is the best drummer ever, but never a definite. Despite this, this was a group of extremely talented musicians who came out of nowhere. I would even argue that, although arguably not the best, they are at least top 5 in their respective instruments. No doubt.


Anyhow, I will be back tomorrow with a new album. Until, be strong, my bruthas and sistas. Enjoy the World Cup and pray for the Lakers!


Peace, bruthas and sistas.

No comments:

Post a Comment